Wednesday 8 February 2017

The last of the leeks...

This is the last of the Musselburgh leeks:
Leeks always do well on our allotment despite getting a bit of rust in the Autumn. So far there is no sign of any leek seedlings sown 12 days ago (or chilli seedlings for that matter). The purple-leaved basil is germinating though, and so is the coriander:

This year I thought I would have  another go at growing spring onions. Usually I sow the seeds outside in the spring. After 3 or so weeks only a handful germinate and then they die before getting to a useful size. This year I am going to sow a few seeds in pots indoors as I would for leeks to see if I have any success this way. I'm going to try sowing 2 different varieties:
Finally, I thought I would get some hearting lettuce started indoors. The UK's salad shortage is set to carry on for many months yet so I want to make sure we have our own supply asap! I'm sowing some mixed lettuce seeds (All The Year Round, Black Seeded Simpson, Catalogna, Iceburg 2, Lobjoits Green Cos, Lollo Rosso, Merveille des Quatre Saisons, Romaine Ballon) plus some Little Gem lettuce for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment