Wednesday 30 September 2015

Autumn onion planting

Last weekend I purchased some Japanese onion sets from Wilkinsons:
Japanese onions are for autumn planting, originating from the Japanese variety Senshyu. The packet does not say what varieties are included... all I know is they were produced in the Netherlands! Last weekend, Graeme dug over part of the plot between the boundary and the PSB and added some well-rotted manure. Today I planted a 5 x 10 grid of onion sets. There were actually 51 onions in total so one was added onto the end of a row:
It is difficult to see all the onions in this pic as the PSB cage was casting a shadow over the area! Once planted I gave them a drink then covered with netting to stop the birds pulling them up:
Once they are established and show signs of growth I will remove the netting. All being well we should have some onions ready for harvesting next May.

No comments:

Post a Comment